Content may not be copied or shared without prior consent © Preston Community Partnership 2018
Preston in Devon
Events / Fundraising
Today there are at least 38 places with the name of Preston. It comes from the old English "preosta tun" meaning Priest's settlement, village or farm. In the thirteenth century Bishop Quivil of Exeter gave Preston and the Rectory to the precentorship of the Cathedral, the Precentor was responsible for the Cathedral music and paid for the choir out of his own pocket and for the next 600 years Preston was held by Precentor Lechedale and his successors.
1904. Redcliffe Hotel opened.
1913. Preston Greens bought by the Council for £5,117 from Paris Singer.
1914. Greens used for military training including trench digging.
1792. Two genteel houses listed Preston - the house of Robert Butland and The Manor House home of John Distin.
1811. Oldway Mansion is a large house and gardens in Paignton, Devon, England. It was built as a private residence for Isaac Merritt Singer (1811–1875), and rebuilt by his third son Paris Singer in the style of the Palace of Versailles.
1920. The Greens are levelled out, Ex German destroyer breaks it's tow and hits the sea wall at Marine Parade.
1922. Cars allowed on the green for free parking.
1924. Promenade built, also two shelters and two grass tennis courts, Hollicombe head leased out from Great Western Railway. 1929. Site of Marine Parade purchased, Oldway becomes the Country Club.
1932. First traffic lights at Seaway Rd/Torquay Rd junction, Marine Parade layout started.
1936. Colin Road car park built end of parking on the green.
1939. Cafe built at Redcliffe end of the green now "The Boathouse".
Images and Historical detail by permission of the Paignton Heritage Society.
For further information contact www.paigntonsociety.webs.com